Earlier this year, Kimberly-Clark Corporation published its annual report on sustainability, including a comprehensive update on the organization’s efforts and an introduction to new sustainability priorities and goals through 2022.
Kimberly-Clark collaborated across teams and with customers, business partners, suppliers, and nongovernmental organizations to achieve its 2015 goals. It expanded its ecological and socially focused programs, and made progress in reducing its environmental footprint. Tom Falk, Kimberly-Clark Chairman of the Board and CEO, commented, “Our vision is to lead the world in essentials for a better life. From the products we make to help moms care for their families to having the proper regard for the environment, this vision inspires us to care for the communities where we live and work. In 2015, we achieved or surpassed our five-year sustainability goals and will continue to set aggressive goals for ourselves to make a positive impact in the world around us.”
* Increased the amount of Kimberly-Clark communities with socially focused programs from 62% in 2011 to 97% in 2015
* Contributed $29 million in total global donations and community investments, accounting for 2.9% of Kimberly-Clark’s net income
Forests & Fiber
* Increased the amount of FSC®-certified virgin fiber in Kimberly-Clark tissue products from 7% in 2006 to more than 75% in 2015
* Collaborated with the Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®), to use the power of the marketplace in support of ending deforestation and safeguarding forest ecosystems
Waste & Recycling
* Diverted 95.6% of manufacturing waste from landfills as of December 2015
* Participated in global programs to recycle materials and reduce waste impact to landfills
Energy & Climate
* Awarded 2016 U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Climate Leadership award for excellence in greenhouse gas management
* Reduced absolute GHG emissions by 7.2% since 2010, exceeding 5% target
* Exceeded the 25% water use reduction goal with a 27% reduction rate from a 2010 baseline – which is up from just 2% in 2011
* Recorded zero fatalities and reduced Total Reportable Incident Rate (TRIR) by 50% from 2010-2015
* Achieved 100% key supplier participation in social compliance program. Since 2012, Kimberly-Clark has completed more than 400 audits that resulted in improved working conditions for more than 123,000 employees across the external supply chain.
Sandra MacQuillan, Chief Supply Chain Officer, notes, “We’re proud of the progress we’ve made in finding ways to grow Kimberly-Clark sustainably. As technology evolves and as we learn more about what we can do, it is possible that we could have a footprint that gives back, rather than takes – an aspiration we are all excited by.”
A new initiative, Sustainability 2022, which coincides with Kimberly-Clark’s 150th anniversary, aims to pave the way for another 150 years of success through these five priorities:
* Social Impact – Improve the well-being of 25 million people in need through social and community investments that increase access to sanitation, help children thrive, and empower women and girls
* Forests & Fiber – Innovate Kimberly-Clark’s tissue products to reduce their natural forest footprint by 50%, while increasing our use of environmentally preferred fiber
* Waste & Recycling – Extend Kimberly-Clark’s zero waste mindset to all solid wastes and deliver innovation to help keep product and packaging material out of landfills
* Energy & Climate – Achieve a 20% reduction in absolute greenhouse gases vs. a 2005 baseline
* Supply Chain – Uphold Kimberly-Clark’s values through proactive environmental and social programs that address material risks and sustain our commitment to human rights, worker safety, anti-corruption, and environmental protection
To see the full 2015 Sustainability Report, visit the Kimberly-Clark Web site.
For more information on Sustainability 2022, visit them on the Web.
Albert & Company International, Inc. is a one-stop shop for Executive Development, talent management, and prime examples of change-agent leadership. Our vision is to help individuals gain the knowledge they need to excel, thereby increasing their efficiency and productivity, leading to better organizational growth. For more information on this and many other courses in our extensive Executive Education database, the most comprehensive and complete of its kind, visit us on the Web at http://albertconsulting.com, or email us at email@example.com.